I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pan's Labyrinth

In Theatres: December 29th, 2006
Guillermo del Toro (dir.)
Mirabel Verdu
Sergi Lopez
Ivana Baquero
Doug Jones
Trailer

Megan sent me a link to this tonight, and I'm blown away. The teaser is good, but the full blown trailer is GREAT. It's about time we started seeing movies like this again. Last year's Mirror Mask got mixed reviews, but looked great in the trailers and was a definite step back towards good children's fantasy. Growing up, I loved this type of thing: Labyrinth, Neverending Story, Return to Oz, Time Bandits, etc. I'm totally excited to see this when it hits the big screen.

Anticipated rating: 10/10
Actual rating: 10/10 This movie is perfect. There was so much to like and even though I'd expected it to be more of a kids move than it was... In fact, it's not a movie for kids at all... But despite my own expectations being dashed, the movie really blew me away. I love it.

No comments: