I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Messengers

In Theatres: February 2nd, 2007
Danny Pang, Oxide Pang (dir.)
Kristen Stewart
Dylan McDermott
Penelope Ann Miller
John Corbett
Trailer

The more Asian horror elements that creep into American horror the better, in my opinion. Sure, there's a formula: jerky fast motion from characters that aren't really seen, oozing stuff, young children, the countryside, little violence and nudity. This trailer creeped me the hell out. I got goosebumps watching it (even though my PC stutters at 1080p).

Anticipated rating: 10/10 This movie could let me down, but I think it's more likely to be the best of it's genre for a while to come.
Actual rating: 5/10 Despite the strong trailer, this movie wound up being really weak. Predictable timing, mediocre creep-factor and a really thin plot. Granted, I had goosebumps a couple of times, I think the film really failed to deliver and the plot twist was sort of weak. Good sets and production value though.

No comments: