I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Marie Antoinette

In Theatres: October 13th, 2006
Sofia Coppola (dir.)
Kirsten Dunst
Jason Schwartzman
Judy Davis
Rip Torn
Asia Argento
Trailer

Ok, so this movie is getting a lot of buzz. A fashion shoot for Vogue, for instance, doesn't happen for just any film. Watching the trailer(s) though, I'm a little confused. The teaser trailer is a much better sell. It makes the movie seem like lots of fun and sex. The theatrical trailer is much darker though. Perhaps the thing I'm most confused about is the music. Will rock and roll be the actual score for the film, or are they just throwing that into the trailers to make them more appealing to the MTV crowd? The lack of accents for the actors suggests to me that either the actors don't have what it takes to pull accents off, or the decision was made to avoid distracting younger audiences by having the stars talk differently than them. In either case, it's probably not a big deal. I guess the real question is this: is Hot Topic going to dump the goth shit and start selling Louis XVI wigs now?

Anticipated rating: 6.5/10

No comments: