I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Science of Sleep

Release Date: Sept 15, 2006 (Sept 29 in Vegas)
Michel Gondry (dir.)
Gael Garcia Bernal
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Alain Chabat
Trailer

One of the most anticipated films this year, in my mind, is The Science of Sleep. I was hoping, based on its release date, that it would show up at Telluride and I'd get another chance to stalk Michel Gondry and get him to take a photo with me. Alas, the film premiered at Seattle earlier in the summer.

It looks good. It looks like Gondry gets to work most of his bag of tricks into the film: giant hands, cardboard recording studios, basic animation and a little stop motion here and there. The story, setting and actors draw me in too. Gael Garcia Bernal is great to watch, and I'm happy to see him doing English language films now.

I'm planning to go see this today, actually. It's only been out since Friday, but indie stuff has a short life expectancy in Las Vegas, so it's critical to jump on things when they show up.

Anticipated Rating of film (9/10)
Actual Rating of Film (9/10) I gotta say, I love the Gondry magic.

No comments: