I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Fountain

In Theatres: November 22nd, 2006
Darren Aronofsky (dir.)
Hugh Jackman
Rachel Weisz
Ellen Burstyn
Trailer

The trailers don't do the movie justice. The reviews don't do the movie justice. Bottom line, the movie is a tough sell. That said, it's definitely worth buying a ticket for. For one thing, it's an Aronofsky film (Pi, Requiem for a Dream). For another, it holds up. It's hard to untangle what the movie is all about, but that's not a bad thing. Many of the greatest movies are like that. Similar to Kubrick's 2001, one is left to scratch their head at the ending, but unlike that film, I was actually able to come up with a satisfactory explaination for this one.

Anticipated rating: 8/10
Actual rating: 10/10

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

As a true believer in Aronofsky's films, I'm just ashamed to say I haven't seen The Fountain yet .. I blame it on the sheer glut of movies out right now, but it's probably nobody's fault but my own