I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Penelope

Release Date: August 17th, 2007
Mark Palansky (dir.)
Christina Ricci
James McAvoy
Reese Witherspoon
Trailer

What I like about this trailer is that while they tell you that Christina Ricci has a pig nose, and they kill any doubt that she'll wind up with the guy at the end of the film and live happily ever after (it IS a fairy tale, afterall), they don't actually SHOW the nose. It looks like a movie aimed at a teen girl audience, and since I'll eventually have a teenaged daughter, I might as well familiarize myself with the genre. This movie is certainly more palatable than many of the similar Disney offerings. I don't think this movie will lose anything being shown at home, and that's where I'll wind up seeing it.

Anticipated Rating: 6/10

No comments: