I like watching movie trailers and then reviewing the movie based on the information gleaned from them. I work at the Telluride Film Festival, and I get to see quite a few movies well before their domestic release dates, so I have a little insight into those movies as well. Because the TFF program isn't released until the day of the festival, I like to try and guess what might show up here.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Apocalypto

In Theatres: December 8th, 2006
Mel Gibson (dir.)
Dalia Hernandez
Mayra Serbulo
Trailer

The original teaser trailer didn't really do much for me. Lots of eye candy, but no real help with the plot. Such is the function of a teaser. However, there is a better reason to watch it: There's one special frame at 1:46. You have to step through it with the arrow keys. Anyhow, the movie... A friend of mine told me that it was the most gratuitously violent thing she'd ever seen. Not a bad thing, in my opinion. It also looks like a movie that'd give me a little more info about a dead culture that I know nothing about.

Anticipated rating: 7/10
Actual Rating: 9/10 (12/12/06) It was better than I'd expected. The character development was really pretty full, but for some reason, I still didn't feel a lot of attachment to the people in their times of strife. I wanted to see the protagonist win, but at the same time, I didn't really care what became of him. I'm not sure why that is.

No comments: